Tuesday 31 January 2012

Gazidis "Manchester City would love to be in three competitions, Money is not everything in this game. I don't disagree that it's important. But we do things based on a value system. We're about creating star players, not about buying them!” Sagna “I am absolutely delighted to be back it’s been a long 3 months!” Theo “I need to do better!” Murphy on-loan to PNE!



  • Arsenal chief Ivan Gazidis has taken aim at Premier League leaders Manchester City.
City are left in only one cup competition — the Europa League.

Fifth-placed Arsenal are still in the Champions League and FA Cup — but have not won a trophy since 2005.

Gazidis said: "Manchester City would love to be in three competitions.

"Money is not everything in this game. I don't disagree that it's important. But we do things based on a value system.

"We're about creating star players, not about buying them.

"We can't afford to compete with oil money, and we can't afford to compete with super-wealthy individuals from Russia.

"But I think the more important thing about our model is that it's sustainable."
  • Borussia Dortmund youngster Thomas Eisfeld is set to sign for Arsenal today.
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is set to sign Eisfeld.

The 19-year-old was in London with his agent Reza Fazeli on Monday to undergo a rigorous medical at the club's training ground as he had surgery for a torn cruciate ligament in 2009.

Playmaker Eisfeld is out of contract in the summer and Arsenal will have to pay compensation of around £420,000.
  • Arsenal fullback Bacary Sagna was delighted to be back for their FA Cup win over Aston Villa.
Sagna admits his spell on the sidelines has been testing and the French international is determined to rediscover his best form as soon as possible.

“I am absolutely delighted,” he said. “It's been quite difficult all these months - four is a long time.

“I just needed to get back as quick as possible and now I finally am. Now I just need to work even harder to get back because I have only had two training sessions and it is not easy. But I will do it.

“I will still work with the fitness coach but I will only get fit by playing games. I am just biding my time to start a game now but I am not rushing. I just want to give the maximum to get myself into the best position.

“It was nice to have support from my wife, kids and my friends. The fans have also supported me a lot during my recovery and it was quite helpful when I was working.”
  • Arsenal winger Theo Walcott knows he should be doing better.
By his own admission Walcott has not been at his best in recent weeks. However, the England international insists that he is his own harshest critic and is working hard to rediscover his best form.

He said: "I just want to play my game and show people what I can do," he said. "I am the best judge of my performance, not anyone else. I wasn’t happy with my last few games but hopefully now I can try to get back to a level I should be at.

"I think it was a good thing that it was the FA Cup [on Sunday], it's totally different to the Premier League. I think we needed a slight break.

"It's a cup competition that we can win, a couple of big teams have gone out in the early stages and if we can come from 2-0 down, hopefully we can beat anybody now. Hopefully we can just show the fans and our team-mates that everyone is ready now and that we can win this."
  • Arsenal winger Theo Walcott admits he needs to be winning trophies.
Walcott, with his contract running down, is desperate for some silverware after six barren years at Arsenal.

He added: "I want to look back at my career at the trophies I have won and there are none yet!

"I haven't even got anywhere set aside in the house for when I do get some medals. Not yet.

"This is a cup competition we can win. A lot of big teams have gone out. Hopefully, everyone can believe we can win this."
  • Watford expect Arsenal to try for Adrian Mariappa today.
 Watford are now aware of Arsenal's interest in defender Mariappa, 25.

Wenger is considering a £2million move but the Hornets are hoping Newcastle will raise their offer to £3m.
  • Stevenage Borough have kept hold of Arsenal midfielder Chuks Aneke on-loan.
Aneke has extended his loan spell with Stevenage FC until March 6, 2012.

The 18-year-old midfielder joined the League One side in November on an initial two-month deal.
  • Preston North End have signed Arsenal striker Rhys Murphy on-loan.
Murphy has today joined Preston North End until the end of the 2011/12 season.

The 21-year old striker, who has made five appearances for Neil Banfield’s Reserves this season, will team up with Graham Westley’s side who currently occupy a mid-table spot in League One.

No comments:

Post a Comment