Monday 9 January 2012

AW "We have the experience of last year when we couldn't beat them at home, so let's do it this year! We’re fighting hard to do more then finish top 4! More signing possible” Maradona "RVP is a star player; he’s a model for all great players to live by!" Arshavin for sale £12m! Suarez, Visca Linked!



  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is demanding total focus for their FA Cup tie with Leeds United.
Wenger expects full focus on the job in hand.

"We have the experience of last year when we couldn't beat them at home, so let's hope we can do it this year," said Wenger, who will be without captain Robin van Persie, who is on a family break in Dubai.

"We just lost a game in the league [at Fulham] which gave us a lot of regrets, so we want to respond quickly with a win. We have a good opportunity because we play at home.

"I will play a strong side, a normal side. Maybe one or two will be rested, but apart from that I think we will still have Marouane Chamakh, although Robin van Persie will certainly be rested."
  • Arsenal captain Robin van Persie has paid a visit to see Diego Maradona.
The Arsenal captain, who describes Maradona as his 'hero', surprised the Al Wasl manager during his holiday in Dubai.

Van Persie, posed for pictures with his family before enjoying a kickabout with the 51-year-old.

"I've always admired Maradona since I was a young child," Van Persie said.

"He is one of the best footballers of all time, and a visit to Dubai would not have been complete without the opportunity to get to meet him face to face."

Maradona added: "Van Persie is not only a star player but a footballer with a stellar personality that is something that I hold in high respect.

"His great talent, combined with his humble character, make him a model for all great players to live by."
  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger is confident over their Champions League qualification hopes.
Wenger has backed his team to be in the top four - at the very least - by the end of the season.

“We have a good spirit in the side,” he said. “The schedule was very tough for us and I feel as well we were really unlucky over the Christmas period. I cannot fault the players' attitude or spirit and that's why I'm still optimistic and I think in the end the quality of that spirit will come through.

“But we have many regrets over the Christmas period, on many sides and many aspects of the games. We have to take it on the chin and come back even stronger.

“We are fighting very hard to get in the top four, and if we can, to do better. We have just come out of the Christmas period with seven points but it is not good enough to fight for the championship because we should have made 12.

“That's why we cannot get involved in any considerations in the championship at the moment. I feel we have to win our own games and not speak too much.

“I think absolutely nothing [about the title race], I let other people talk and we play. We will see at the end of the season. We are in the job, we are not better predictors than the journalists. They are bad enough and we don't have to add anything else to that.

“Our target is to win the next game and the next game is in the FA Cup. As for the championship, I don't know more than you.”
  • Arsenal hero Martin Keown admits he's always been a big fan of Thierry Henry.
Keown twice won the Barclays Premier League with Henry and twice won the FA Cup - and he knew as soon as the Frenchman signed from Juventus in 1999 Arsenal had a superstar in their midst.

"I remember his first goal. I ran the length of the pitch to tell him 'I was here when you scored your first goal for Arsenal because there is something special that is going to happen'," Keown recalled.

"He looked at me like 'what is wrong with you?'. I said: 'I will be telling my kids I was there, Southampton away.

"I saw that when I played for England with Steven Gerrard, you are in the company of great players.

"It all came true. I have never seen an athlete as outstanding as he was.

"Eventually he found a rhythm and a technique to go with that athleticism.

"I can remember saying he could play as a full-back well into his 40s because he was so much quicker than anybody else."
  • Arsenal are keen to cash in on Andrey Arshavin.
The 30-year-old Russian striker who cost £12.5million when signed from Zenit St Petersburg three years ago is regarded as surplus to requirements at The Emirates.

He has failed to reproduce his best form on a consistent basis and manager Wenger would listen to offers, in the region of £12m, for the man who will captain Russia in Euro 2012 this summer.
  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger won't rule out more signings to follow Thierry Henry.
Wenger has already made one major transfer move with the return of Henry and is expected to further strengthen his squad, with full-back a real area of concern due to injuries.

Lyon's Aly Cissokho is a reported target but Wenger added: "At the moment nothing, we don't have a concrete case but we don't rule it out. A loan defender is the likely scenario.

"I am expecting a quiet market. Europe is depressed and there is not a lot of money available, only some clubs who have exceptional resources.

"Let's say that clubs who are not linked with the economic environment at the moment can buy."
  • Arsenal have approached Chelsea for talks over Salomon Kalou.
Arsenal have made a £3million enquiry for Chelsea’s Kalou.

Talks over a new contract at Stamford Bridge have stalled over the Ivory Coast striker’s £90,000-a-week wage demands. And Arsenal are trying to take advantage by making an official approach for Kalou.
  • Arsenal are believed to be showing interest in Anderlecht striker Matias Suarez.
The 23-year old Argentine, who has scored seven Belgium Pro League goals in 18 appearances so far this term, has emerged on the radar of both the Gunners and French club Marseille according to reports.

Gunners scouts have watched Suarez, who also has seven Europa League goals this campaign, and are believed to be keen on the £10million-rated former Belgrano man who admits a move to a bigger club is something he yearns for.

"I do dream of a big transfer, but for now it seems quiet," Suarez told Argentine media.

"There are two clubs interested, but if it does not happen this winter - so be it and I will then do everything to make Anderlecht champions."
  • Bosnian starlet Edin Visca is excited by interest from Arsenal.
The 21-year-old winger has spent less than six months in Turkey with Istanbul BB, but he could be on the move again during the winter transfer window, with Arsenal keen.

"I am very proud that such a big club is interested in me," Visca said.

"Who wouldn't be happy about that?

"But the truth is, right now I am an Istanbul BB player and that means I cannot think too much about the Gunners.

"Until something concrete happens, I will only think about Istanbul BB as I want to play in Turkey and be as good as I can.

"But, yes, I am happy and proud that such a big club wants me."
  • Chelsea fullback Ryan Bertrand has confessed growing up an Arsenal fan.
Big things are expected at Chelsea for the England U21 international.

"I used to support Arsenal as a youngster so I have quite fond memories of watching the FA Cup as they always did well in it. Ian Wright was my favourite player but later on I liked the side which contained players such as Marc Overmars," he said.

"I remember when Chelsea won it in 1997 under Ruud Gullit as well, plus of course the final in 2001 when Michael Owen scored two late goals to win it for Liverpool against Arsenal, that really annoyed me. I can remember Ash [Ashley Cole] scoring a penalty for Arsenal against Manchester United in 2004 too."

No comments:

Post a Comment