Monday 12 December 2011

AW “the two wins that transformed our season so far is Arshavin scoring to win 1-0 against Swansea & the 5-3 win at Chelsea!” Tony Adams "It's a massive honour to be recognised this way. Ray Parlour reckons the statue moves quicker than me!” RVP "It was a great pass again from Alex Song, unbelievable. Then I took a "gamble" & hit it first time!” Theo "I should have shot!" Real Madrid bid £74m for RVP



  • Arsène Wenger has pinpointed the two victories that transformed Arsenal's Premier League campaign.
The Frenchman has overseen a strong recovery after a difficult start to the season, guiding his team into the top four after Robin van Persie’s stunning volley against Everton secured a seventh win in eight top-flight games.

The captain has already netted 15 times in the league this term but Wenger believes a goal from one of his other forwards changed Arsenal's fortunes after the international break in September.

"We play every game under massive pressure but maybe when Andrey Arshavin scored against Swansea [it was a turning point] - that was a game we absolutely had to win," said Wenger. 

"After that maybe the [5-3] victory against Chelsea, that helped our confidence. And in the Champions League we did well too. We didn’t get any credit in the Champions League, but we played Udinese who were top of the Italian league, and finished top of our Champions League group.

"We never got credit because when people decide you are a bad team, you are a bad team. We have to work slowly and let people talk.

"We are a bit more mature," added Wenger. "We still want to improve our style and be faithful to our style. 

"We had a fantastic game at Wigan last week so overall it was important to win the game on Saturday. Everton did very well to stop us from playing, they have very intelligent players."
  • Arsenal legend Tony Adams admits he is hugely honoured by the club's recent unveiling of a statue of him outside the Emirates, alongside fellow club luminaries Thierry Henry and Herbert Chapman.
The former Arsenal captain's stellar playing career for the Gunners was immortalised in bronze to commemorate the club's 125 year anniversary last week, and while he admits such accolades are normally reserved for the deceased, Adams admits he is thrilled by the lofty compliment.

Adams played over 500 games for Arsenal during his stunning Highbury career that lasted nearly two decades. The tough-tackling centre-half won four league titles with Arsenal and 66 caps for England and is widely regarded as one of the greatest players in the club's history.

"It's been a year or more now since I found out about the statue. I've been working with the artist, giving him all my dimensions and that, making sure he increases my chest size by a few inches." Said Mr Arsenal.

"Now it's done, Ray Parlour actually reckons the statue moves quicker than me!

"But seriously, I was thrilled to bits when I heard." The ex-Arsenal skipper told his former Arsenal teammate Alan Smith.

 "It's a massive honour to be recognised this way. I know some people think you should be dead before having a statue cast but, without wishing to get too profound, this commemorates a playing career that died a while back."

Adams retired from playing for Arsenal in May 2002 and remains one of the few one-club men in modern football. He made his debut as a 17-year-old, in November 1983 against Sunderland in the First Division. He famously battled alcoholism and drug addiction during his remarkable playing career and founded the Sporting Chance Clinic in 2000 as a result of his well-documented problems.  
  • Arsenal skipper Robin van Persie admits his wonder volley was a "gamble" as he scored the winner against Everton to keep up the Gunners' Premier League push.
The Dutchman's 19th goal of a remarkable season moved the Gunners into the top four of the Premier League on the back of a run of seven wins and a draw in their last eight matches.

While Van Persie was delighted with the latest success, given his run of form of late he was far from happy with his own display.

"It was vital to stay on track and get the three points," he said.

"It was a hard game against a good Everton side. In the end, very pleased.

"We've been solid at the back for a couple of weeks now, I mean really solid, lots of things coming together.

"Then you know, as a forward player, one chance can be decisive.

"It was a great pass again from Alex Song, unbelievable. He is a defensive midfielder, but the amount of skill he has is just a dream. A great pass from him.

"Normally I would have touched (the ball) to get it right. It was a bit of a gamble, but in the end a very nice goal inside the post. I can't wish for more.

"But it wasn't a great game in my opinion, especially from myself as too often I had touches which did not go the way I wanted.

"I'm not really happy with that, with my own performance, but pleased with the win."
  • Theo Walcott believes he needs to kick on and start adding to his goal tally.
The England international has found the net four times this season while providing a number of assists for the in-form Robin Van Persie. 

Walcott believes he should have gone for goal himself instead of seeking out Gervinho in Saturday’s win over Everton - but he insists that was not through a lack of self-belief.

"I should have shot," he said. "But the thing about me is that last week I squared it and we scored. I'm not lacking confidence. It could have hit anyone and it could have gone in.

"But I never dwell on chances. It was a mistake, I should have shot, but I won't dwell on it. If you keep on thinking about it then you won't have a very good game.

"In previous weeks that would have gone in after I'd put it in the middle. But the team won and that's the main thing.

"I've always enjoyed my football,” Walcott added. “The manager has got a lot of faith in me, doing the jobs forward and back as well. 

“Hopefully I've got that right balance. I've been getting assists and now I need to get some goals in my game as well but that will come.

"If I want to be the player that I want to be, playing up front, then I need to be shooting on goal when I get in that position. I'm not too fussed about that though, as long as the team is winning."
  • Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh insists he will not leave the club in January, but will make a decision on his future at the end of the season. 
The Morocco international has started just one Premier League match this season and has been linked with a return to Bordeux who he left for the Gunners in 2010.

Robin van Persie's sensational form means opportunities have been hard to come by for Chamakhand he does not want to continue to play a fringe role at this stage of his career.

The forward will not aim to force a move when the winter transfer window opens in three weeks, however, he could consider a switch back to Bordeaux in the summer.

Chamakh said: "I am 27 and I need to play. I cannot stay like this forever. I won't leave in January, but I will take an important decision in June.

"I was surprised by the offers I got last summer, but my priority was to stay at Arsenal. A return to France? If so, it will be to Bordeaux."
  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has dismissed reports that midfielder Tomas Rosicky could leave the club during the January transfer window.
The 31-year-old Czech has struggled to hold down a regular place in the Gunners' first team this season.

Rosicky is in the squad for the Champions League Group F clash with Olympiakos on Tuesday but it had been suggested he could join the Greek side over the winter.

But the Frenchman was quick to put the record straight.

"Rosicky is at Arsenal and he remains at Arsenal," Wenger said.
  • Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says he remains undecided on whether to loan teenager Ryo Miyaichi out in January despite reported interest from Ligue 1 club Valenciennes.
The Japanese winger, who is currently on the sidelines injured, has only managed two first-team appearances for the Gunners this term, both coming in the League Cup.

last week that Valenciennes were interested in bringing the Japanese to France but Wenger said he was undecided on that just yet.

“No, there is no truth in that at the moment,” Wenger said. “I will decide that at the beginning of January."

Miyaichi, 18, had enjoyed an impressive loan spell with Dutch club Feyenoord in the second-half of last season, where he scored three goals and provided three assists in 12 appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment