Sunday 27 November 2011

AW "The positives are we have shown an exceptional spirit and desire, refusal to lose the game! You could see many players were on the fringe, disappointing because we dropped 2 points, but we keep our unbeaten run going!" RVP “I amaze myself sometimes!” Santos, Vermaelen talk! Wolfsburg Rosicky bid! PSG Chamakh bid!



  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admits his players suffered a Champions League hangover for their draw with Fulham.
Thomas Vermaelen scored at both ends of the pitch on the day.

Wenger believed his squad had shown "a bit of mental and physical fatigue" after their exertions in the midweek victory over Borussia Dortmund which had secured safe passage into the knockout stages.

"The positives are we have shown an exceptional spirit and desire, refusal to lose the game," theArsenal manager said.

"You could see many players were on the fringe, and that we had not completely digested the Champions League game on Wednesday night.

"We needed to dig deep, the circumstances in the game went against us because the moment when Fulham scored they were not crossing halfway a lot.

"We scored an own goal at a moment when it was all us, earlier in the season, we could have lost this game, but we came back.

"It is disappointing because we dropped two points, but at least it keeps our unbeaten run going."
  • Arsenal skipper Robin van Persie admits his stunning form has surprised him.
He has revealed he is so good that sometimes he even amazes himself.

The 17-goal Arsenal hitman said: "I feel I'm a real No 9 now. I think like a striker.

"Sometimes I amaze even myself on that. It's really great how things are going but at the same time I have to try and look at it calmly."
  • Arsenal fullback Andre Santos admits his defensive weaknesses have been exposed this season.
Those defensive frailties were evident during a difficult first half at Chelsea.

However Santos sparked the second-half turnaround with a 49th-minute equaliser.

“I know I can play well and, if I am here playing for Arsenal, it is because I’m a good player,” said Santos.

“I sat down in the corner of the dressing room at half-time against Chelsea and thought about that. I focused on the fact I must be better.

“I thought about it and decided, ‘I have to go back and play much better’. Things have definitely got better for me since then and I am still trying to improve.”
  • Arsenal defender Thomas Vermaelen admits he was hurt by their early season critics.
But the Belgian was happy to ink a new deal.

Talking about his sense of ­loyalty to Arsenal, Vermaelen said: “I thought about the ­situation with my contract for a really long time.

“Of course, I knew there were doubts from outside about the club. But the most important thing for me is that I feel happy here.

“I have only really played one year of games at ­Arsenal, so I wanted to give something back to the club that has looked after me.

“I believe in the club, I think the structure is really good. They are the main reasons I stayed.

“I think we can challenge the other clubs like Man City and Man United. We have to look at ­ourselves and we had to do that when our start wasn’t perfect.

“The Carling Cup is a trophy we want to win – and not just because of losing last year’s ­final.”
  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger has challenged Andrey Arshavin to fight his way back into the first team.
He maintains it is up to the likes of Arshavin, who was an unused substitute in midweek, to force their way back into contention.

"I feel sorry for every player who does not play, but competition is part of our job," he said. "You must accept that in some periods of your career somebody can get in front of you."
  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger admits he's unhappy with the timing of the African Nations Cup.
Wenger could lose Gervinho — who was yesterday shortlisted for African Footballer of the Year — for the Africa Cup of Nations, which starts on January 21.

He said: "It is a concern. You lose players two weeks before the competition starts and sometimes they come back really exhausted."
  • Arsenal hero Robert Pires feels Robin van Persie will sign a new contract.
There are fears that he will follow Samir Nasri, who left for Manchester City in the ­summer when he refused a new deal.

But Pires said: “I think he will stay. Why? He has status at Arsenal and he is highly ­regarded. But I also believe that Arsenal need to sign some ­important players next summer. That will help to keep him.”
  • Wolfsburg are chasing Arsenal midfielder Tomas Rosicky.
The Germans are chasing Rosicky for the January market.

The 31-year-old has made just six Premier League appearances so far this season and could be open to a new challenge elsewhere, having spent five seasons in London.
  • Paris Saint Germain are ready to spend big to land Arsenal striker Marouane Chamakh.
The Moroccan international, 27, has failed to make the expected impact at The Emirates since his move from Bordeaux to London last year.

Manager Arsene Wenger insists he is still part of his plans, but PSG’s move could prove difficult to resist.

A move to Paris could also enable Chamakh to link up with Beckham if PSG sign him up after the expiry of his contract with LA Galaxy.
  • Manchester United ace Ashley Young has again admitted kid brother Kyle could be something special.
Young has two young brothers making their way in the game.

Lewis Young, 22, is at Northampton Town, while Kyle Young, 15, is coming through the academy at Arsenal.

"He may well be the best of all of us," says his older sibling. "I wouldn’t tell him that, though, because he spends enough time saying it himself."
  • Arsenal striker Wellington is set to end his loan with Levante in January.
He vented his anger on Twitter this week at the situation and coach Juan Ignacio Martinez looks unlikely to pick him any time soon.

Levante do not want to anger Arsenal and are ready to let him return to The Gunners, who are already looking at alternative loan placements in France and Greece. 

No comments:

Post a Comment