Thursday 22 September 2011

Oxlade-Chamberlain "Before the game I walked out on the pitch & realised what a big stage it is, it was brilliant!” Gibbs “AW is incredible. We are 100% together!" Ryo "It my dream to play on the Emirates pitch, I’m really happy!” Gazidis “funds are available to boost the team in Jan summer!" Yossi out for 10 days! Vargas Linked! Afobe Out for 4 Months!


  • Arsenal winger Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain was delighted with his goal scoring performance in victory over Carling Cup opponents Shrewsbury.
It was his first start since arriving from Southampton.

He said: "I haven't been on the bench as much as I would have liked recently and that is due to some quality signings. I forgot what it felt like to be out there.

"Before the game I walked out on the pitch and realised what a big stage it is - straight away I was excited and it was brilliant to be involved. I gave it my all and I hope I did well."

Oxlade-Chamberlain sees no reason why the Gunners cannot use the win to kickstart their season, which continues against Bolton on Saturday.

"Even though you may say it is against lesser opposition, we still had to bounce back from the result at the weekend, put a statement down and make sure we qualified for the next round. With a younger, less experienced squad we did that," he said.

"We just need to keep plugging away and it will come right for us. There are a lot of quality, quality signings here and a lot of quality in the boys that are already here.

"We just need to gel together now and kick on.

"I think we have what it takes to get to the [Carling Cup] final and put in a good claim in the Premier League and the FA Cup too."
  • Arsenal defender Kieran Gibbs has made it vehemently clear that the players at the club are fully behind under-fire manager Arsene Wenger.
The Gunners have had a mediocre beginning to the Premier League season with just one win in five matches, prompting plenty of criticism to be delivered in the direction of Wenger.

But Gibbs has backed his gaffer, saying what he has achieved in his managerial career is superb and that all the players at the Emirates are as much to blame as he is for the subpar start.

"We have to stand up and not hide if the results don't go our way," he said.

"We'll see it change. It has not been the easiest of months.

"But the team is together and you can see from the stats of the games that what we are doing is right - but we are not getting the results.

"What Arsene Wenger has done is incredible. We are 100 per cent behind him."

He added: "We bring a lot of trouble on ourselves at times but it happens. At the minute we make one mistake and it's a goal.

"It's unbelievable how it has affected us but I'm sure we'll overcome it."
  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger was encouraged by his young players in their Carling Cup win over Shrewsbury.
Wenger handed full debuts to several members of his squad and was ultimately pleased with their efforts against the League Two outfit.

"The players took responsibility and grew into the game, especially the younger ones," the manager said.

"Of course we know [Emmanuel] Frimpong and [Ignasi] Miquel because they have played already but players like Francis Coquelin and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain grew tonight. That is very positive.

"We will try to go for it [in this competition] and adjust the team to the difficulty we face in every game."
  • Ryo Miyaichi admits he was nervous making his Arsenal debut in their Carling Cup win over Shrewsbury Town.
The Arsenal faithful were treated to their first home sightings of the 18-year-old for the visit of the League Two side, making their feelings clear before the youngster had even entered the pitch.

"It has been my dream to play on the Emirates pitch, it’s great and I am really happy,” Miyaichi said.

"One year ago I was still in Japan and playing high school football. I didn't even think I would be playing here so it was a surprise. I was working hard and now I am here I have to keep my feet on the ground and try even harder."

Miyaichi said: "It was a mixture of nervousness and being excited [before coming on]," he added. "I could hear the crowd before and then I got a bit more nervous.

"I could hear the calls and I was really happy. I wanted to respond by playing well and hopefully that can lead to the next step."
  • Kieran Gibbs was delighted to break his duck for Arsenal in their Carling Cup win over Shrewsbury.
Gibbs says the goal is a weight off his shoulders, having previously been the butt of his team-mates' jokes.

“In pre-season I scored a few and then when the season comes I always come close and never score,” he said. “But tonight my luck has changed.

“After they scored we were just on countless attacks and I thought eventually we would get it. It just came luckily to me and I managed to take my opportunity.”
  • Arsenal chief Ivan Gazidis says there is money available to spend in January.
It remains to be seen whether Arsenal will be active when the transfer window reopens in January but Gazidis insists that funds are available should manager Arsene Wenger want to strengthen his squad further.

"Certainly in January and next summer there are significant funds available to bolster the team," he said.

"The important thing from our perspective is - and this is something that Arsène has been extremely disciplined in over time - that we are not just going to spend money because we are under short-term pressure.

"We are going to make sure that the players we bring in are the right players."
  • Yossi Benayoun has broken down in Arsenal training.
There was some bad news for Arsenal last night when on-loan Chelsea midfielder Benayoun revealed he'd suffered an injury.

He tweeted: "Very disappointed as I have a strain and will be out for a week or so."
  • Arsene Wenger is said to be set to go back in to take Fiorentina’s Juan Manuel Vargas to Arsenal in the January window.
The Boss was interested in versatile Vargas in the summer, but decided he wanted to continue to scout him this season.

Peruvian hardman Vargas, 27, can play left back, left midfield or central midfield and the Gunners face competition from Juventus for his signature, which would cost in the region of £10million.
  • Afobe Ruled Out For Four Months

No comments:

Post a Comment