Thursday 1 September 2011

.Arsenal Team and Transfer News – 1st September 2011

  • New Arsenal signing Mikel Arteta admits he made the heart-breaking decision to leave Everton in order to test him-self in Champions League football.
The 29-year-old spent six-years at Goodison Park and established himself as a firm fans favourite, but feels he’s done no wrong by walking out on the club during the final moments of transfer deadline day.
‘It is a big opportunity for me and my family and I think it is the right time for me to take it,’ he said.
‘It is a big challenge, a different challenge, fresh for me and I want to see myself on the biggest stage, the Champions League.
‘I am 29 years old so I haven't got much time left to take a chance like this one. I think I have done my best for Everton.
‘I always try hard, I have been as professional as I could and I was grateful for the support and the love that the club and the fans showed me.’
Although the midfielder did play his part in forcing the transfer to Arsenal, he insists he still leaves Everton with a heavy heart.
‘It is very difficult to say goodbye. I still can't believe it but at the same time I think it is the right moment for everyone,’ he added.
‘That is the way football is, there is always a start and an end and today is the end of probably the best time of my career. I am never going to forget it.’
  • Arsenal ace Jack Wilshere welcomed their deadline day deals for Yossi Benayoun and Mikel Arteta.
Arsene Wenger has lifted Gunners fans with deals for Chelsea midfielder Benayoun and Everton's Arteta.
Wilshere tweeted: "Massive signing! His quality and class is evident for everyone to see! Welcome Mr Benayoun! #ILoveAFC
"Best news of the day! Brilliant signing! Welcome to Arteta! Great day all round for #AFC this is why #ILoveAFC. Come on you gooners!!!!
"I am off to bed a happy Gooner! Night my fellow Gooners! I am sure you will all sleep well tonight! Gym for me tomorrow!"
He added: "Welcome to Mertesacker, Santos and Park chu young!"
  • Mikel Arteta took a pay-cut to leave Everton for Arsenal.
Talks between the midfielder's advisors and the Gunners had collapsed after Everton accepted a £10million offer.
Then, just 90 minutes before the 11pm deadline, Arteta pushed to join Arsene Wenger's men by accepting a £10,000-a-week cut.
The Gunners moved for Arteta after failing in a £12m bid for Sochaux winger Marvin Martin.
And when they agreed a deal with Everton, the Spaniard's agents demanded a four-year deal worth £80,000 a week.
The 29-year-old was on £70,000 a week but Arsenal were only prepared to offer £60,000 and it appeared the deal was dead.
But Arteta said he would take a £500,000-a-year hit to get the move over the line.
  • Mikel Arteta ultimately drove his move from Everton to Arsenal last night.
The Gunners are said to have initially offered Nicklas Bendtner - who joined Sunderland on a season-long loan - in a part-exchange deal, something rejected out of hand by Everton.
They also reportedly snubbed a £10million cash offer until the player himself made his feelings clear.
Arteta's signing followed hot on the heels of that of Yossi Benayoun after the Chelsea midfielder signed a season-long loan deal at the Emirates Stadium.
That took Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger's deadline-day recruits to four after defenders Per Mertesacker and Andre Santos Put the finishing touches to their moves.
  • Former Chelsea midfielder Yossi Benayoun has tweeted his delight over his move to Arsenal.
Israel captain Benayoun had been linked with a number of clubs but opted for the Gunners, who will play in this season's Champions League.
The midfielder, who is currently on international duty, wrote on Twitter: "I sign with Arsenal, very happy and excited about it, but now my head is only in the game against Greece on Friday, thanks for the support."
  • Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger was thrilled to finalise a deal for German centre-back Per Mertesacker this evening.
The 26-year old Germany international has signed a reported four-year deal for an unconfirmed fee of around £9million from Werder Bremen and Wenger was absolutely delighted to confirm the signing.
“We are delighted to welcome Per Mertesacker to the Club," Wenger said.
"He is a German international with vast experience and strength and is good on the floor and in the air. I believe he will be well-suited to the Premier League and a tremendous asset to the team.”
While Mertesacker added: “I had a great time at SV Werder Bremen and I’m grateful to the club. Moving to London enables me to fulfil a dream and a further step in my career. The Premier League has always represented a great challenge for me.”

  • Arsenal have had a bid for Borussia Dortmund midfielder Mario Gotze turned down.
Arsenal tabled an offer of €40 million for the young Germany international attacker, but it was flatly rejected by BVB.
Dortmund chiefs are counting on Gotze this season after making room for him by allowing Nuri Sahin to leave for Real Madrid.
  • Arsenal striker Nicklas Bendtner has joined Sunderland on a season-long loan.
The Denmark international has been crying out for a move away from the Emirates Stadium and he will now get his chance with Steve Bruce coming in for his services.
Bendtner had an impressive spell under Bruce when on loan at Birmingham City in the 2006/07 season and will now team up again with the Black Cats boss.

No comments:

Post a Comment