Wednesday 4 April 2012

RVP “Adebayor leaving has made me the player I am today! Playing up higher means I can surprise opponents!” Santos “I’m working hard to keep RVP here!” Santos “Pele compares me to Roberto Carlos!” AW wants Giroud & M’Vila signed before Euros!” The Ox “playing well at Arsenal will give me a chance for England!” Martinez talks!


  • Robin van Persie has revealed that being less involved in Arsenal’s build-up has allowed him to get free and score so many goals this season.
The Dutchman has netted 33 goals in all competitions for the Gunners so far this term and admits it is because he can surprise his opponents by making a late run into a scoring position rather than be sidetracked with trying to set things up for his side.

"To be fair I like [being involved less] though because sometimes you can just surprise an opponent by doing that, having a breather and then, bang, you are off again,” he said.

“It is a different game in lots of ways, that is just one of the reasons.

"You are, of course, closer to the opponent's goal, which is handy because otherwise you have to cover all that distance. Even if you are not playing well as a main striker, just that one, short moment in behind means you can still score."
  • Andre Santos is working on Robin van Persie about staying at Arsenal.
The Brazilian's locker is next to the Gunners captain.

"I really hope Van Persie stays. He's a great player and one of my best friends at the club. He has the peg next to me in the dressing room," he said.

"He's one of the best strikers I've played with, though I also played with Ronaldo at Corinthians."
  • Arsenal fullback Andre Santos admits he was honoured to be compared with Roberto Carlos as he was making his way in the game.
Santos was likened to the Real Madrid legend by none other than Pele while breaking through in Brazil.

"It's an honour when I am compared to Roberto Carlos," said Santos.

"I was always a fan. I played with him for three months at Fenerbahce and he's a great friend, who's always ringing and texting me. In Turkey, he played at left-back and I played in front of him - I scored 13 goals that season. We are similar players but it worked playing in the same team.

"I'm a left-back, though, that's my position. I wasn't as happy as a winger. I like to receive the ball and see the whole pitch in front of me. Although I've always been a goal scorer, even as a left-back."
  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger wants to close an early deal for Montpellier striker Olivier Giroud.
The France international is a top target for Wenger and has expressed an ambition to join the Gunners this summer.

Wenger wants to snap up Giroud before Euro 2012 to avoid a late summer auction for the prolific forward.
  • Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger will have to break the club's transfer record to land Rennes midfielder Yann M'Vila.
Rennes want £17 million for a player who has already being hailed in France, where he is an established international, as the next Claude Makelele.

Arsenal’s club record signing is still Andrei Arshavin at £15 million but, with Wenger having made holding midfield one of his transfer priorities this summer, it is thought that he would be prepared to surpass that for M’Vila.
  • Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is keen to be part of England's European Championship squad but is not getting carried away over the possibility.
The clamour for Arsenal winger Oxlade-Chamberlain to be a wildcard pick for this summer's finals has grown since the start of the year, with the 18-year-old having earned rave reviews for his performances in the Premier League and Champions League.
Oxlade-Chamberlain said: "It would be very nice but I don't get too far ahead of myself or get carried away."
  • Arsenal goalkeeper Damian Martinez says he is ready to go out on loan to help further his development.
The 19-year old gloveman has impressed in the reserves this season but feels he could learn more in a first team environment just like number one Wojciech Szczesny did whilst at Brentford in 2009.

“I have been training all my life and I am ready to play,” Martinez said.

“I am still looking forward to being on the bench for a few more games, trying to do my best in the reserves and then be ready for the first team. These are my ambitions for the next two months.

“[Szczesny] said he wasn't ready for the first team yet so he went out on loan and learned so much there.

“Then he came back to Arsenal and played in the first team as he was ready. Next season a loan spell could be an option for me.”

No comments:

Post a Comment